5 Verses to Combat Loneliness
Loneliness is loud right now.Dr. Johnny Parker, executive coach
What loneliness is more lonely than distrust?George Eliot
It seems like everyone is shouting without listening. We distrust each other. We put labels on each other, labels like “other,” “them,” and “they.” We’ve forgotten how to be a “we” and “us.” And in that forgetting we’ve boxed ourselves into corners, alone and lonely. Perhaps its time we lowered our voices, looked each other in the eye and listened. What would it take to be silent and listen when the “other” talks? What would it take to speak with kindness to the one with opposing views?
For those of you who are feeling lonely in this crazy, mixed-up, fear-full world, below are five of my favorite verses from the Bible about God’s closeness. You are not alone.
5 Verses about Loneliness
- “And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.” -1 John 4:16 NIV
- “You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.” -Psalms 139:2 NIV
- “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” – Hebrews 13:5 NIV
- “Sing to God, sing in praise of his name, extol him who rides on the clouds; rejoice before him—his name is the Lord. A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.” -Psalms 68:4-6 NIV
- “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” -Psalms 145:18 NIV
2 Responses to “5 Verses to Combat Loneliness”
Love your verses. Thank you, Beth.